Affordable gym equipment may sound mutually exclusive; but we’re happy to tell you, this is not the case. Especially when it comes to the best affordable stationary bikes. Whether you’ve been a cyclist for years or just getting started, it doesn’t take long before discovering the benefits of having a stationary bike.
Whether you prefer not to ride in worse than mild weather conditions, live in an area not suitable for cycling, or just want to keep loose in between heavier training days, you can understand how having a stationary bike is incredibly useful. And thankfully, there are some legit options that won’t break the bank.
YOSUDA Indoor Cycling Bike Stationary
Long gone are the days of a clunky chain transport. This system is belt-driven for a quiet and smooth ride. YOSUDA took all the essentials into consideration with this updated, 2019 model. The LCD monitor tracks all the metrics you need for your ride and there’s even a mount for your small tablet or smart phone in case you need to watch some inspiring cycling videos to get you amped.
- Customized fit: 2-way adjustable hand bar, 4-way adjustable seat (up, down, front, and back), 10-inch range in seat height, and large range for resistance
- Cage pedals to keep feet in place
- 35-pound flywheel which offers real riding simulation
- Only allows up to 270 pounds and based on reviews, not great for those over 5’10”.
- Has a larger footprint
- Not the most inexpensive option
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance
This is the recumbent bike for the cardio junkie. There are 8 resistance levels to work through from a light to intense workout. And while you’re almost guaranteed to be sore after pushing this recumbent to the max, you’ll maintain a happy backside with the ergonomically designed seat. Its high-density foam will keep you comfortable to push your workout further.
Another great feature of this best affordable stationary bike consideration is the counterbalanced pedals. You get maximum control with weighted pedals which also provide ultimate comfort so you can focus on your ride.
- Can accommodate much taller and higher weight levels than stationary bikes
- Compact design
- One of the least expensive options
- Not accommodating for those on the shorter side (around 5’)
- Does not easily adjust between riders of varying sizes – fine if only one user, but not a bike to share
- Customer service can be difficult to reach
ANCHEER Indoor Cycling Bike
Need to workout indoors but worried about disturbing those around you? ANCHEER understands and crafted quite the stealthy stationary bike. With one of the smallest footprints possible, this bike is also incredibly quiet making it ideal for small apartment living.
The simplistic monitor is easy to use and see during your workout. The rider will enjoy the belt drive system and meticulously balanced flywheel providing a comfortable, realistic ride.
- Large and easy push down emergency brake brings the bike to an immediate stop
- All the necessary size adjustments are easy to customize from person to person
- Easy assembly makes this an obvious choice for the best affordable stationary bikes availble
- Like many stationary bikes, not suitable for taller people (over 6’)
- Not the most comfortable seat
- The display does not show all metrics at once, requiring you to press through each option to check your progress
Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike
Want to take your workout to the next level? Engage your upper body as well with the dual action extended handlebars. The Body Rider provides tension for a full body workout as your arms work in unison with your legs.
This upright fan bike is all about efficiency. The tension dial is simple to adjust mid-workout and the steel frame provides excellent stability.
- Fan wheel – keeps you cool during your workout
- Provides a full body workout
- Adjustable seat height for multiple users
- Weight capacity only up to 250 pounds and not for taller riders
- Arms always move with the pedals and cannot be locked, so using only the cycling mechanism is not possible
- Even with an updated design, seat has been reported to be uncomfortable for lengthier workouts
Marcy Upright Stationary Exercise Bike with Resistance
Don’t let this small structure fool you. For being one of the smaller frames in this guide, it boasts a premium steel frame with 14-gauge tubing. The powder coating finish joins performance and design for an exercise bike that looks as good as it functions. This is one of the best affordable stationary bicycle considering how little space it requires.
- Super small footprint
- Ultra smooth magnetic resistance mechanism
- Has greater height variance accommodations
- Like many stationary bikes, the seat is not known for being very comfortable and you’ll want to purchase a separate seat cushion
- While it can accommodate a taller person thanks to the adjustable seat, the handles cannot be moved up and down and might be uncomfortable for a taller person to lean over
- Does not fold up for storage purposes
pooboo Stationary Recumbent Exercise Bike
Although this is not as inexpensive as other options, the pooboo recumbent bike is still considered affordable for the machine you get. For how quiet it is, it offers a great workout.
With 8 resistance levels and an easy operating LCD monitor, you’ll be able to track your progress and push yourself to new goals with each workout. All ergonomics are taken into consideration with a wide seat, proper back support angle, and comfortable side handles.
- Has heartrate monitoring at natural position on handles for you to keep track of your biometrics
- Ultimate adjustability – pedals, seat, and 8 resistance presets
- Much more comfortable than most stationary bike options
- Not as user-friendly for shorter riders (less than 5’5”)
- Large footprint
MaxKare Magnetic Exercise Bike
While the price tag is a bit higher on this one, the MaxKare exercise bike offers you everything you need for a solid bike right without actually being outside. For being only 90 pounds, the frame is impressively sturdy and can hold up to 300 pounds. Your ride is further secured by caged toe pedals and an emergency brake system for when the flywheel is spinning too fast.
The handlebars (and overall triangle frame) most closely mimic that of an actual road bike, giving you a few different options of upper body positioning. If you’re primarily wanting a stationary bike to train in between outdoor rides or when the weather is particularly bad, this bike is a great option as it will keep your body in a familiar position.
- 4-way adjustable seat and handlebar
- Magnetic tension allows for smooth pedaling, minimal noise, and less maintenance
- Most expensive of the best affordable stationary bikes
- Monitor only displays metric measurements, there is no imperial option
Things to Consider When Buying an Inexpensive Stationary Bike
There’s a difference when considering what is the best exercise bike for home use versus what is the best cheap stationary bike.
As with most things, you get what you pay for. But that certainly doesn’t mean that a lower price tag can’t be a great choice. All the bikes mentioned here can serve their purpose of indoor exercise well, but it’s important to take a close look to determine which one is right for you.
Are Stationary Bikes Worth it?
Whatever your budget, this may be your first question before even considering how much stationary bikes cost. But the simple answer is yes.
Even if you’re an avid outdoor cyclist, having a stationary or recumbent bike in your home can provide wonderful health benefits. Every reason from allowing easy movement during injury recovery to getting in a quick sweat.
In considering an inexpensive stationary bike, like the ones listed here, be mindful of what you need and ask the following questions:
- Will this bike fit in the space I have available without over crowding?
- Can this bike support my stature?
- Will my physical needs be better supported by a stationary or recumbent bike?
- And of course – how much money am I able to spend?
Regardless of how you answer each question, there’s a good chance one of the options covered will suit you.
Don’t let your physique suffer due to not being able bike outside. Adding one of the best affordable stationary bike options from this list will give you the leg up you want for your workouts and so much more.